Grants in Israel
- Grant period: 2008-2009
- Grantee link: Sport L'Tsafon
Sport L’Tsafon is a Haifa youth center that has been in existence for over 10 years. The key activities of the center include various educational and developmental programs for teenagers. The main focus is given to athletic clubs, competitions and summer camps. Athletic clubs overseen by the organization engage nearly 500 teens, most of whom come from Russian-speaking families.
In 2008–2009, Genesis Philanthropy Group supported three projects:
- Representatives of the White and Blue;
- Eretz Israel V’Tanach;
- International summer athletic camp.
The first two projects offered the following:
- Lectures and seminars on the history and geography of Israel;
- Lectures and seminars on European Jewry and the meaning of the Shoah for the Jewish people;
- Intellectual games and a theater class;
- Tours of Israel's museums and memorial sites.
The center also organized an international summer athletic camp, attended by the Maccabi children's soccer team from Moscow. Each project engaged 80–100 teenagers between the ages of 13 and 18 from FSU immigrant families.
Projects organized by the Sport L’Tsafon Center are supported by the Municipality of Haifa, the Pa’amei Tikva Fund and Genesis Philanthropy Group.
Goals and Objectives
- Foster a sense of belonging to the Jewish people among teenagers from FSU immigrant families and develop their Jewish identity.
- Help teenagers overcome cultural and social barriers during their absorption in Israel.
- Enhance the participants' understanding of the meaning of the Shoah for the Jewish people.
- Increase teenagers' interest in the social life of Israel.
- Create a natural educational environment for teenagers.
- Bible Lands Museum
- Building Pluralistic Jewish Leadership among Russian Speaking New Immigrants
- Future in the Desert
- Ghetto Fighters Museum
- Hillel Israel & Phoenix
- J-Sport Israel
- Jewish Holidays for "Newbies"
- Joy of Judaism
- Kesher - The Home for Special Families
- Leadership Program
- Machanaim Community Center
- Mahut International
- Masa Discovery
- Masa Mibereshit - A Journey Through Israel
- Midrasha Zionit – Educational Seminars in Israel
- Neot Kedumim
- Shishi Shabbat Israeli
- Tzabar Parents
- Amuta 21C
- Assistance program for soldiers serving in the Israeli Defense Forces
- Beit Midrash for Journalists
- Beit Midrash Kushia
- Catalogue of educational materials on Jewish self-identification of Russian-speaking Jews
- Conference of European Jewish Leaders and Rabbis
- Conference on Informal Education in Israel
- Educational Project in Yemin Orde School
- Eshkolot’s Festival of Jewish Texts and Ideas
- Genealogy Project
- Israel’s New Impulse Project
- Jerusalem Media Conference for Russian-speaking Journalists and Bloggers
- Limmud FSU in Israel
- Machanaim: an educational program at Bar-Ilan University and the Effective Management, Effective Education project
- Mahut in Israel
- Melitz, The Avraham Infeld Jewish Educational Venture Fund
- Open University of Israel: Online academic Jewish and Israel studies textbooks in Russian
- Phoenix in Knesset Israel
- Psifas Family Summer Camps
- Russian-language Section of the Hakhel Festival
- Seminar for Jewish Students in Berlin
- Socio-economic and Demographic Study of Russian-speaking Jews in Israel
- Sport L’Tsafon
- Taglit for Russian-Speaking Jews from Germany
- Tevel b'Tzedek: Tikkun Olam Service
- The Encyclopedia of Russian Jewry
- The IDF - a Different Look
- The Mikro Theater
- The MILI Program: Midreshet Yerushalayim
- Tikkun Shavuot Night –"Time 2 Love"
- Unifight for Southern Israel Children
- Women in Biblical Literature
- “Sea in Jerusalem” – An Art Festival produced by the Mystorin Theater