Grants in North America
- Grant period: 2009-2013
- Grantee link: DAVAI!
In 2009, Genesis Philanthropy Group supported a heritage travel program where young adults from Philadelphia and Chicago traveled to places of Jewish significance in Spain and Gibraltar, and had a first-hand opportunity to connect with Jewish history as well as the European Jewish community. The young Philadelphians who participated in that trip decided to continue on their path of Jewish learning and formed DAVAI! upon their return.
Between 2011 and 2013, Genesis Philanthropy Group supported the following DAVAI! programs:
The Philly Israel Fellowship - an eight week seminar on a variety of topics related to Judaism followed by a 12-day trip to Israel.
Mitbachon - subsidies allowing DAVAI! members to attend this annual all-American Shabbaton.
Hatikva - an ongoing leadership development program.
Mazal Tov - family programming increasing the involvement of young Russian-speaking Jewish families in Jewish life in Philadelphia.
Financial support for this program was provided by Genesis Philanthropy Group, the Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia, and other generous donors.
Goals and Objectives
- Increase awareness of Philadelphia’s young Russian-speaking Jewish community and how to engage it.
- Build and unite the Philadelphia young adult Russian Jewish community by attracting new members through a series of educational and social opportunities.
- Educate DAVAI! members about Jewish history, traditions, and heritage, in order to help them advance their Jewish knowledge and develop their Jewish identity based on shared experiences as immigrants from the Former Soviet Union.
- Addison-Penzak Jewish Community Center of Silicon Valley
- American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee – Entwine
- Asylum Arts
- Brandeis-Genesis Institute for Russian Jewry
- BRIJE Young Family Engagement Initiative (Long Island, New York)
- Bukharian Lens
- Camp B’Yachad
- Camp Gesher at Camp Max Straus
- Center Without Walls by COJECO
- Chicago Federation Russian Jewish Division
- Exhibits at the Jewish Museum
- Folksbiene Yiddish Theater
- Havurah Program at Tel Yehudah
- iCenter: Camp Staff Training Seminar
- JCC in Manhattan
- Jewish Book Council
- Jewish Federation of Northern New Jersey
- Kibbutznik Jewish Family Camping Initiative
- L2coLAB Projects
- Mishpucha Family Camp
- Moishe House
- NJY Overnight Jewish Camps
- PJ Library
- Project Keshet
- RAJMN Teenage Engagement Initiative (St. Paul, Minnesota)
- Ru-Ju-LA - Russian Jewish Young Adult and Young Family Network in LA
- Russian Jewish Young Adult Engagement Initiative in the Columbus, Ohio
- Russian Jewish Young Adult Engagement Initiative in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Russian Speaking Jewish Grant Committee at the Natan Fund
- Russian-Jewish Community Outreach Initiative by The Foundation for Jewish Camp
- Russian-Speaking Jewish Community Engagement Project in Toronto
- Shalom Education Center
- The Blue Card’s Russian-Jewish Giving Event Campaign
- The Jewish Funders Network
- The Jewish Week
- The New Wave of Russian-Jewish-American Culture
- Tree of Life Foundry
- UMCA Rich Tree Academy
- Blognik Beat
- Centropa Summer Academy
- Columbia University: Voices of the New Russian-Jewish Diaspora Conference
- Detroit RSJ Community
- Ezra USA
- Hurricane Sandy Jewish Education Relief
- IDF Musical Ensemble Concert
- JAFI LA Russian Young Adult Engagement Program
- JChoice.org - Tzedakah: The Next Generation
- JIAS Decade-Plus Immigrants: Leadership Bridging Cultures
- Kivunim: New Directions
- Limmud Bay Area
- Lives of the Great Patriotic War: The Untold Stories of Jewish Soldiers in the Soviet Red Army During WWII
- Maccabi USA
- Magnes Museum at UC Berkeley
- Maria New Children’s Hormone Foundation
- NYU CLIP Internship Program
- Our Tales for Our Children
- Outreach to Russian-speaking Children Attending JCCA Camps in the United States
- Park East Synagogue
- Pathways to Engagement
- Project Gesher
- Raymond and Miriam Klein JCC
- Roots and Wings
- Six Points Fellowship
- Young Judaea Camp Sprout Lake
- Zshuk Jewish Children’s Art Initiative