Grants in North America
- Grant period: 2009-2011
- Grantee link: Council of Jewish Emigre Community Organizations
Council of Jewish Émigré Community Organizations (COJECO) is a central coordinating body in the Russian Jewish community of NY that was formed in 2001 to facilitate the successful integration process of Russian-speaking Jews into the mainstream Jewish community and the greater American society.
Founded with the support of Genesis Philanthropy Group, COJECO’s Project Gesher is an informal Jewish education and outreach initiative in the New York and New Jersey Russian-speaking Jewish communities. As part of this program, COJECO recruits and trains Russian-speaking Jewish college students to become informal Jewish educators in preschools with high concentrations of children from Russian-speaking Jewish families. Student-teachers conduct weekly classes on a variety of topics related to Jewish life. In the process, they serve as role models for the small children and, therefore, learn leadership skills that can be useful in their future work in the Jewish community.
Financial support for Project Gesher was provided by Genesis Philanthropy Group along with the Nash Foundation, Lucius N. Littauer Foundation, Russel Berrie Foundation, and other generous funders.
Goals and Objectives
- To develop the Jewish identity of Russian-speaking children.
- To increase the knowledge of Jewish culture, history and traditions among Russian-speaking Jewish students and to incentivize their excellence by placing them in positions of leadership.
- To increase the knowledge of and interest in Jewish holidays among Russian-speaking Jewish families with young children.
- Brandeis-Genesis Institute for Russian Jewry
- Camp B’Yachad
- Center Without Walls by COJECO
- Folksbiene Yiddish Theater
- Generation R at the JCC in Manhattan
- Havurah Program at Tel Yehudah
- Mishpucha Family Camp
- Moishe House
- NJY Overnight Jewish Camps
- Pathways to Engagement
- PJ Library
- Project Keshet
- RAJM Teenage Engagement Initiative (St. Paul, Minnesota)
- Ru-Ju-LA - Russian Jewish Young Adult and Young Family Network in LA
- Russian Jewish Leadership Forum
- Russian Jewish Young Adult Engagement Initiative in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Russian-Jewish Community Outreach Initiative by The Foundation for Jewish Camp
- Russian-Speaking Jewish Community Engagement Project in Toronto
- Shalom Education Center
- UMCA Rich Tree Academy
- Blognik Beat
- Chagall and the Artists of the Russian Jewish Theater Exhibit at the Jewish Museum
- Ezra USA
- JAFI LA Russian Young Adult Engagement Program
- JChoice.org - Tzedakah: The Next Generation
- JIAS Decade-Plus Immigrants: Leadership Bridging Cultures
- Klein JCC
- Lives of the Great Patriotic War: The Untold Stories of Jewish Soldiers in the Soviet Red Army During WWII
- Our Tales for Our Children
- Outreach to Russian-speaking Children Attending JCCA Camps in the United States
- Project Gesher